Sunday, December 16, 2007

Personal Blogs on Coping With Schizophrenia


Rim Collection
Painted with Luv- (Sometimes)

From Schizophrenia Daily News Blog, December 13, 2007:
Personal Blogs on Coping With Schizophrenia

We encourage personal chronicles of schizophrenia through blogs or vlogs. The following are descriptions of a couple of personal blogs focused on the authors' experiences with schizophrenia:

This first blog, titled Stiffen The Sinews, is the journal of a young woman who [lives with] schizophrenia. On it, she chronicles her experiences in living with and managing her illness. Many of her postings concern the symptoms of her illness and how she copes with them. Here's an excerpt from one of her postings:

I've Grown
I read my first post this morning, correcting the mistakes, and I've realized that I am able to react differently to my psychosis. It used the be that the only way I could set myself straight was by confirming to others the truth of what was really happening. But now, I recognize my symptoms for what they are and I am emotionally able to refute them! I know that my medication has something to do with it, and I am extremely grateful...My next attempt at overcoming my disease is socialization. I always hallucinate in public...

The next blog, titled Bonkers Bob schizophrenia blog, is the blog of a 26-year-old man residing in the UK. His blog features information about his experiences with his illness. He emphasizes staying well, stating that prior to treatment he had spent more than one and a half years in psychiatric wards. Now he sticks to treatment and attempts to live a low-stress life. Here's an excerpt from his blog:

The thrill of being Jesus
I’ve been thinking recently about what my life was like before I decided to ‘get with the program’ and comply with treatment. To an outside observer my life is much better than when I was non-complient, I’ve developed my portfolio of graphic design to a point where I stand a good chance of landing a job in a competitive industry and been able to function at a high level and cope very well with living on my own. But part of me misses the thrill and inflated self esteem of when I’m losing touch with reality and I think I’m part of some cosmic battle and believe I’ve got miraculous powers, all of my most memorable experiences have been when I’ve been psychotic, both positive and negative...I think I’ve come to the realisation that whilst being Jesus is exciting and a massive boost to the ol’ self esteem, it comes at a high price and I’m much better building on my normal low self esteem, then my mind won’t need to be Jesus to cope with life…

…the question is how do I do that?

See also Kristin Bell's Video Blogs:
Kristin's New Video Blog - A Personal View on Schizophrenia
Kristin Bell: A Chronicle of Living With Schizophrenia

If you have a personal schizophrenia-focused blog or vlog you would like us to announce, please e-mail us at szwebmaster@yahoo.com.

No comments: