
Posted January 29th on the Mental Nurse weblog:
(Guest post from Torah)Graphic courtesy of Mental Nurse.
Hi, I'm a long time lurker on this site. I really enjoy being able to see mental health issues from lots of different points of view. I am in therapy for CPTSD and I have had to say goodbye to my mental health case manager (who is an awesome nurse) when she changed roles. Over our time together she became my friend, my sister, my mother, my safe place, my information centre, my rock and it was all done in a way that never violated any boundaries, duty of care, job description. I had no idea how I would go without her and I really didn't want her to go. I had a couple of sessions where I told her this, where I cried and said it wasn't fair, where I asked questions like “If I wasn't coping so well, would you be allowed to go?”. She was always open and honest in her answers back to me, she told I would be o.k, she soothed me for a while and told me to stop dwelling on things I couldn't change. And then our time was up and now I have another very lovely nurse as my case manager. My old case manager called me today, in a professional role, just to check in on me. And you know what……I was completely fine. I didn't cry or demand her back. Everything was good. Anyway, what I wanted to say is, if you ever have to leave a mental health worker, for what ever reason, just allow your self to be human and grieve the loss. We are all human before we are mental health patients, we are allowed to 'like' or 'dislike' our treating team, and we are allowed to be sad or happy when that's over. It doesn't mean we have any 'pathology' or 'disorders', it just means we are human. Torah.
1 comment:
That is great Torah had such a good relationship with the case manager...I once had a therapist get a promotion and have to pass me on to another therapist, I did not like it, but I accepted it and still kept my old therapist as someone I could talk to.
Ashley
Post a Comment