Fatality inquiry opens into death of man who collapsed in jail 30 hours after TaseringPhilip McLean [pictured] went to the first day of an inquiry into Howard Hyde’s death with one thing on his mind — a call for a total ban on the use of stun guns.
"I knew Howard and to me he wasn't a violent person and I feel like the use of the Taser is the wrong thing for anyone in general, really I’m against it," Mr. McLean told reporters at Halifax provincial court, where the inquiry opened Wednesday morning.
Mr. Hyde died on Nov. 22, 2007, shortly after collapsing at the Central Nova Scotia Correctional Facility in Dartmouth. The 45-year-old, who had schizophrenia, had been shocked with a stun gun some 30 hours earlier during a disturbance at the booking desk at Halifax Regional Police headquarters.
Mr. Hyde had been arrested and charged with assault stemming from a domestic dispute. His girlfriend, Karen Ellet, said at the time that he had stopped taking his medication.
Mr. McLean remembered Mr. Hyde as a friendly and intelligent gentleman and "an all-around nice guy."
The Halifax man said he had known Mr. Hyde for two years, after the pair met at a social club they both frequented.
Mr. McLean said the province needs to ban the use of stun guns before another tragedy occurs.
"It’s too late to bring Howard and other people back alive, but I just hope that the Justice (Department) will get rid of the Taser.
"Unfortunately, I think it can and will happen again unless the law is changed."
Also see:
Family, friends hope inquiry will shed light on death of mentally ill man (The Canadian Press)
Nine groups will have legal standing at Taser death inquiry (Metro Halifax)
Inquiry opens into death of mentally ill man shot with Taser (National Post)
Photographic of Philip McLean courtesy of The Chronicle Herald.

No comments:
Post a Comment