Saturday, June 13, 2009

Recovery from schizophrenia and the recovery model


The abstract of an article published in the July 2009 edition of Current Opinion in Psychiatry:
By Dr. Richard Warner [pictured]

University of Colorado, Boulder, Colorado, USA


Abstract


Purpose of review: The recovery model refers to subjective experiences of optimism, empowerment and interpersonal support, and to a focus on collaborative treatment approaches, finding productive roles for user/consumers, peer support and reducing stigma. The model is influencing service development around the world. This review will assess whether optimism about outcome from serious mental illness and other tenets of the recovery model are borne out by recent research.

Recent findings: Remission of symptoms has been precisely defined, but the definition of 'recovery' is a more diffuse concept that includes such factors as being productive and functioning independently. Recent research and a large, earlier body of data suggest that optimism about outcome from schizophrenia is justified. A substantial proportion of people with the illness will recover completely and many more will regain good social functioning. Outcome is better for people in the developing world. Mortality for people with schizophrenia is increasing but is lower in the developing world. Working appears to help people recover from schizophrenia, and recent advances in vocational rehabilitation have been shown to be effective in countries with differing economies and labor markets. A growing body of research supports the concept that empowerment is an important component of the recovery process.

Summary: Key tenets of the recovery model - optimism about recovery from schizophrenia, the importance of access to employment and the value of empowerment of user/consumers in the recovery process - are supported by the scientific research. Attempts to reduce the internalized stigma of mental illness should enhance the recovery process.

Keywords
employment, empowerment, outcome, recovery, schizophrenia

Posting of this abstract is for the purposes of research into schizophrenia and recovery.

Photograph courtesy of Colorado Recovery.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hello there:

Wow what an interesting article! I have recently been doing some exploration into the difference in recovery models across cultures; for example there seems to be a difference in the approach, social obligations, and use of peer mentors and support between the United States, New Zealand, and the U.K.

I wonder, given your expertise on the topic, if you’ve ran into any of these differences and whether one method tends to have more favorable results for certain diagnosis, etc.? Also I am curious as to whether there are such similar positive findings for other diagnosis not related to schizophrenia? I have talked to a number of mental health consumers in recovery-based programs in treatments such as dialectical behavioral treatment, and meditation and self-reflection seem to have huge beneficial effects; but what is more important is treating the entire individual, rather than simply treating the chemical imbalances while assuming they exist in a vacuum void of social interactions/environmental stimuli, stresses, and inputs.

I wonder if you might be willing to speak more on the issue? Also it seems as if a number of professionals are arguing against the recovery model for purposes of reimbursement difficulties, fear that it will diminish the professional’s role in treatment, etc., have you encountered such a debate?

I also wonder if, given your expertise, I might be able to quote you in my own blog about the recovery movement, the Mental Health Recovery Blog? I would of course site you and link back to your blog, but if you weren’t comfortable about it no worries at all, I would very much love to hear your take on things even if you wouldn’t like to be quoted or if you’d like it to remain here!

If some of your readers are unfamiliar with the recovery movement, there are some further, though admittedly less academic, informational resources here:
1) What is Mental Health Recovery
2) Mental Health Recovery Model

And of course the Wiki is actually fairly informative.

If you wouldn’t mind, if you have the time to respond I would very much love to quote you in my blog about the recovery movement, the Mental Health Recovery Blog. I will of course reference back to you in the posting but if you are not comfortable with being quoted then I’d love to just hear your take here! I would very much value your opinion considering I am trying to get inputs from all sides of the mental healthcare field (practitioners, consumers, advocates, family members, etc.) in order to get a meaningful dialogue going as to what the mental health recovery movement really means.

I look forward to talking with you more in the future if this sparks your interest!

All the best,
Lex
MHCD Research and Evaluations